Saturday, November 26, 2011

Vietnam + Thanksgiving = Vanksgiving

Enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving with my Australian and Vietnamese housemates - they were all curious to learn more about the holiday, and I was happy to explain that it is pretty much all about eating until you can't move, then watching football, then falling asleep. I've also spent some time explaining the madness of "Black Friday" to some of my British co-workers. Gotta love our American traditions! Since certain foodstuffs (such as turkey, butternut squash, leeks, etc.) are scarce in Vietnam, we got a little non-traditional with the menu. Here's an overview:

Pork meatballs with mango chutney

Mashed potatoes

Cornbread

Greek salad


Roasted cauliflower with bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and carmelized onions


Sangria


Pumpkin pie with fresh cream

It was delicious! Although this is a bit belated, I want to share a few of the things I'm thankful for this year:

1. A flexible career which allows me to work abroad - yay for teaching!

2. Family and friends who are always willing to give me unlimited amounts of love, support, and encouragement.

3. Technological marvels (such as email and Skype) which allow me to stay in touch with the people I love across continents, oceans, and multiple time zones!

No comments:

Post a Comment