Saturday, November 5, 2011

From the Hip

As far as photography goes, I tend to shy away from portraits. Buildings, bikes, graffiti, landscapes; these are the things that tend to catch my eye. Color, pattern, balance; all that artsy stuff you learn about in Fine Arts 101. Inanimate objects sit still, let you take your time framing the composition, and offer a second chance if you don't get it right the first time. Easy!

People, on the other hand, are unpredictable. You shove a camera in their face, and they react; the unspoiled "authenticity" of the moment is gone. They pose. They smile unnaturally. They become self-conscious. I know I hate having my picture taken, so I'm reluctant to put other people in that position.

You also have the issue of the Western tourist objectifying the local person of color. "Ooh, look at their traditional clothing! What is that they're eating?? Wow, what a quaint lifestyle!" I mean, they're not zoo animals. They're actual people, with feelings, thoughts, experiences. Yet I review the photos I've taken so far, and they seem so devoid of... people. Sure, there's a blur of someone riding past on a motorbike. Or the occasional shopkeeper peeking out a window. But for the most part, I've shied away from portraiture. What to do? How to reconcile my hesitance to intrude and my reluctance to objectify the people I meet on the street with my search for photographic inspiration? Hmmm...

Not sure if I actually have the answer to that question. But the other day I tried a technique called "shooting from the hip," and I feel at least one step closer to finally adding people-shots to my repertoire. The technique is essentially this: walk with camera casually slug over your shoulder, or held in your swinging hand. Discretely point camera at your subject as you approach or walk past. Click the shutter button on the sly. It's has this James Bond/secret-service feel that's actually quite fun! And reviewing the photos is a total surprise.

Pros:
  • Authentic moments unmolested by the presence of a camera.
  • The opportunity to catch people in the act of checking you out, glaring at you, or otherwise observing you as you walk past. Hilarious!
Cons:
  • Blur, poor focus, off-kilter framing, and other technical problems. (Soon to be remedied with faster shutter speed and practice!)
Here's the first crop of my "From the Hip" series. Many more to come.

DSC_0134DSC_0133DSC_0128DSC_0129DSC_0130DSC_0125 DSC_0126DSC_0124DSC_0123DSC_0121DSC_0120DSC_0116 DSC_0119DSC_0118DSC_0112DSC_0115DSC_0108DSC_0109 DSC_0106DSC_0107DSC_0105DSC_0059DSC_0060DSC_0061

From the Hip, a set on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment