Saturday, November 19, 2011

This Week's Top Ten List

In no particular order...

10. Got a flat tire.

9. Got my flat tire fixed for $1.50 by a guy down the street from my house; his living room doubles as a makeshift auto-garage. Score!

8. Got a free 3-day guest-pass to a kick-ass gym in town - AC, TV's on the cardio equipment, cold drinking water, towels, lockers, rooftop pool... is this place real? Above and beyond the typical Vietnamese standard... perhaps that's why there were only Westerners there working out today. (Cost to join = $$$$)

7. Ate dinner at an absolutely delicious Japanese restaurant tucked away in a back alley near my house. Cheap, excellent food, nice staff - a new favorite food spot for sure.

6. Found a 5,000 VND bill on the ground - equivalent to 0.25 cents, score!

5. Ate lunch at a cafe which, by some stroke of genius, had the idea to add a seasonal "Thanksgiving" sandwich to their menu: Oven-roasted turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mayo on hearty 7-grain bread, complete with gravy on the side for dipping. Wow. Yes please. I will be going back for more before this sandwich is discontinued!

4. While waiting for my Thanksgiving sandwich to arrive, heard a commotion outside the cafe and realized that a Vietnamese guy was getting the shit kicked out of him by 3 other Vietnamese guys. Umm... what? Some kind of vendetta situation going on, quite disturbing...

3. Found a store selling Skittles - and not just any Skittles, but Crazy Cores. It's the little things that make life worth living.

2. Got a free backpack from work, therefore saving myself about $15 and avoiding the hassle of having to buy a counterfeit North Face backpack on the street. Now rocking some flossy blue and white Apollo gear.

1. Skyped with my beloved Grip-Night posse; Katie Calhoun, Rachel Hibben, and Juli Ross. Such a bright spot in my day, my week, my month!

1 comment:

  1. I want to come to Vietnam to have that thanksgiving sandwich with you. Our Skype session was also a highlight of mine. Thank goodness we have juli to keep our annual grip night going. And thanks to technology for making it possible for you to be there. I really missed you.

    ReplyDelete