Wednesday, September 14, 2011

24 Hours in Hanoi

Technically, I guess I've only been here about 22.5 hours, but who's counting? All of my senses are on total overload. My first thought as I stepped off the airplane: MUGGY. The cardigan I've been wearing since I boarded the plane in Seattle is now completely obsolete. The cab ride from the airport was a quick introduction in Vietnamese driving etiquette. Blinkers are optional, lane lines are a mere suggestion, and honking is essential for letting other drivers know where you are. Exciting! Nearly 24 hours awake on the trip from Seattle to Seoul, then Seoul to Hanoi = a solid night's sleep when I finally fell into bed.

Killed my first cockroach in the shower this morning (actually, it was already half dead, and all I did was pick it up with toilet paper and put it in the garbage, but I was still pretty proud of myself). After a tiny cup of extremely strong Turkish coffee, I was off for a tour of Hanoi via motorbike, courtesy of my host Manu. Equal parts terrifying and exhilarating. Met his sister Nadia for a delicious lunch of something they ordered for me (noodles + broth + meat). Ran various errands, then enjoyed afternoon beers (bia hoi) on a bustling corner that Manu has been visiting for years. More errands, then more beers and food at a bar owned by a friend of Nadia and Manu (side note: these two know EVERYONE in Hanoi). Home now for a quick break before going out tonight with a few of their friends (I've been advised to stay up as late as possible to power through my jet lag).

Haven't taken too many pictures yet, but here are a couple I snapped from the balcony of Manu and Joelle's place. They show the Red River, the main river that winds through Hanoi.




Hoping for a chance to explore the neighborhood on foot tomorrow with camera in hand. Will also begin my job search in earnest; already have some good leads courtesy of Nadia and her friend Kayla. To sum up my first 24 hours in Hanoi: tired, sweaty, overwhelming, delicious, incredible.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Sara. You are experiencing a lifetime of new memories. Thanks for sharing. And have a beer for me! Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara, have you thought about doing a penpal thingy with uncle Mike? He teaches, remember? He would probably love to have his students interact with you while you are in Vietnam. Do you have his e-mail? If not I'll send it to you. Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to reading about your experiences in Vietnam

    Best

    David (Leonard)

    ReplyDelete